Zyra's front page //// Mental health //// Liberty //// Site Index
MESSAGE ABOUT A MENTAL HEALTH BILL PROTEST (update)
Compulsory Treatment? Pity it's not a free country really!
PROTEST AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT'S MENTAL HEALTH PROPOSALS SEND A MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE !
We're asking people to take their empty psychiatric medication boxes and bottles and hand them back to the government. Why ?
As you may or
may not know, this government is currently pushing for
controversial and draconian plans to reform the Mental Health Act
of 1983. Concerned about the proposed changes and sick of being
ignored, a number of psychiatric users and survivors have decided
to get together and organise a direct, peaceful protest. As a
part of this ongoing effort, we're asking people to `send a
message in a bottle' to take part in a firm rejection of
the government's wish to impose yet more forced drugging and
compulsion. If you would like to contribute towards this protest,
simply collect together any EMPTY psychiatric medication boxes
and bottles you have lying around, write a message of protest on
the back or on a note placed inside, and then send them to us.
General guidelines on how to do this;
1. Use a biro to obscure your name from the pharmacy label/s. ( For reasons of privacy. )
2. If you wish, write a message of protest on the back of the medication container, or write a note and place it inside the medication box or bottle.
3. Place everything in an envelope and send to this address:
REF: BOX COLLECTION (PROTESTMHB)
PO BOX 472
WC1X 9NB *
4. You can send us just one psychiatric medication box / bottle, or as many as you like. If sending bottles, please ensure they're well wrapped in newspaper to avoid breakages.
Once we've collected enough boxes and bottles, we'll then present them to the government as a firm rejection of their move towards yet more forced drugging and compulsion of people with severe mental stress. We want to symbolically `give back' what they impose upon us, and send a powerful message to the government that forced medication in the community is NOT the answer.
For more information:
On the web:
Phone Becky on 07734 964302 ( Evenings and weekends. )
* Disclaimer: LTTV does not necessarily support or promote any of the above information or actions, and LTTV is a completely independent and separate organisation to the group who have issued this press release. LTTV is not a political organisation and does not align itself with any political party or pressure group. LTTV is only providing a c/o mailing address at this time. LTTV does not work on their behalf. Please contact the group above, not LTTV regarding the collection of medication boxes and collections with REF:PROTESTMHB are exclusive and independent of any projects LTTV may undertake. Thank you.
(was http://pages.zdnet.com/cullyd/thenoforcecampaign/ )
Also see Perceptions Forum